David, thanks for the advice! I think you are right that uploading one image and generating the rest is a better idea.

Finally, there are lots of opinions of whether to store the images in the database or on the filesystem. I decided on the former for ease of management and use mysql as the db.

I think the pros outweigh the cons in my situation. This is never going to be a very busy site, so performance really isn't an issue.

If you do store the images in the database be sure to store them and their immediate attributes (i.e filename, nsdata-small, nsdata- large, mimetype) in their own table.

I am curious why you say they should be in their own table, though. I can't think of any advantage of doing it that way - what am I missing?

thanks,

janine