On Aug 15, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:

What we don't need is for most people to sit on the sidelines and wait around for the few to conjure up the future of WebObjects. To get the most people involved, we need to have the lowest barriers to participation possible.

I have been following the discussion today via my Treo, and also thinking about the situation we are in. I have a couple of suggestions to toss out for discussion:

Despite my assertion from yesterday that we can't form a Foundation out of thin air, I do think we need some leadership soon. We are already seeing people posting to the list asking what would be useful to do and where they should put it, and someone really should be designated to answer those questions with some consistency. I think we need a very informal Core Team, one that doesn't make any major decisions but just helps keep people moving in productive directions. Perhaps Project Managers would be a better name for it. We will eventually need a real Core Team with elections and everything if this gets off the ground, but IMHO that's unnecessary overhead at this point.

If people generally think this is a good idea, then maybe we should ask for volunteers? We only need 3 or 4 people, I think, since the task will be mostly answering procedural questions and giving people the confidence that they can move forward on something that will benefit the project. I am willing to be one of the members, though it seems a bit improper to volunteer when it was my idea. :)

My second suggestion is that I think we should have an area of the wiki where people can post a description of what community contribution they are working on. It doesn't obligate them to produce or else, nor do they have to give a timeframe; it's just so we can avoid duplication of effort and people can offer their assistance if their task is already being worked on by someone else. For example, I would post that I am going to write an Eclipse/WOLips tutorial, with a short description of what it will cover, so people will know it's being taken care of. If I get busy and can't get to it, it's my responsibility to update the Wiki and either say it's being delayed, or remove it altogether.

Thoughts? I don't want to over-burden us with process, but I also know that if people are just milling around with no direction, in the end very little actually gets done.

janine