In addition to garbage collection which has been mentioned, be careful of what you are looking at. If additional memory is allocated to the JVM process, it will not be returned to the operating system until the JVM process terminates. In other words, the total heap size will never decrease but free memory on the heap will vary as objects are created and the garbage collector runs.

Chuck