I've been busy writing Scala versions of Didier Besset's 'Object- oriented implementation of numerical methods' and it keeps amazing me with its expressiveness. The Scala implementations of these algorithms are way shorter than the Java or even the Smalltalk versions presented in his book. (http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Implementation-Numerical- Methods-Introduction/dp/1558606793)

I have considered using it with WO. Having XML built into the language makes it very suitable for writing web apps, specially servlets. But having WO's component approach available, there's no added value. Though I've seen great benefit to using Scala when having to write complex code, like in numerical methods, my WO apps usually contain very simple code. Ninety percent of the time I'm just creating, modifying, storing or deleting records. For the typical database applications there isn't much added value to using Scala IMHO.

Rudi Angela