On Jun 16, 2007, at 1:56 AM, Pierre Bernard wrote:

Hibernate is a joke of a pile of crap! It is by no means a persistence framework. You might at best call it a SQL generator. No validation, no object graph management, makes you have SQL-like Strings in your Java code, ...

Hehe, hear ya :-) Coincidentally I am now working to add a new type of query to Cayenne [1] based on the JPA SQL-like object syntax (probably a lot like the Hibernate one). I really don't see this being used as a default query by our users for the reasons you've mentioned, still since the EJBQL syntax ("oh my god, he said 'EJB'!" :-)) supports all kinds of SQL-inspired things (aggregates, subqueries, explicit join semantics etc.), I see it as a solution for those 10-20% of cases that normal object queries (EOFetchSpecification or Cayenne SelectQuery) don't handle very well.

Yes I know there are numerous extensions to EOFetchSpecification to do most of those extra things, and we've been doing that in Cayenne to some extent, but I always had a feeling I am stretching the basic object query concept too much when doing that.

Cheers,
Andrus

[1] http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/ejbqlquery.html