Check out the backtracking code at http://www.bernard-web.com/pierre
Does exactly that.

On Jun 28, 2007, at 11:31 PM, Miguel Arroz wrote:

Hi!

Ok, this is a weird question. My problem is this: I implemented a pager and a pager controller. (I know all this stuff is in Wonder, but I'm a guy who needs to code to understand - see <http:// rentzsch.com/notes/programmersDontLikeToCode>).

The pager kicks ass, as it handles huge amount of data, using the objectInRange stuff in Wonder to limit the resources usage. Everything works like a charm. Except... when the user clicks the evil back button.

There, two things happen: first, the objects shown on the screen are not the objects where actions will apply if you choose an action on a displayed object (the same problem descibred here - <http://groups.google.com/group/wotips/browse_thread/thread/ 7fd37a82e5175537/17cef74b566fadd7#17cef74b566fadd7>). Second, if you click on any link in the Pager (the Pager looks like "1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 ... 567 568"), the page where you'll end does not match the link you clicked, because the link targets have changed.

The problem is that the Pager is a stateful component, and everytime you change the page, the same components are reused (return null). So, when you click "back", what you see is NOT what you get.

Now... how do I solve this (in an elegant way, of course)? I think the best solution is, somehow, keeping the state (or part of it) of the component for all the pages. That way, when the user backtracks, and clicks on something in the pager, I would be able to go to the right state, and work from there.

Another thing that worries me if what happens if people open several windows by apple-clicking on all the pager's links. This will create a confusing ramification in the component states. So, another solution (and I have NO idea how to do this) is to create a new Pager component every time the page reloads.

So, to the mighty experts who I keep boring with my stupid questions - what do I do now? Any tips?

  Yours

Miguel Arroz

Miguel Arroz
http://www.terminalapp.net