On 05/07/2007, at 10:30 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

Those estimates were all for starting from scratch, which I believe is what should be done (Apple will not release the source to the original, anyway -- I've brought it up several times over the last couple years). To do a WOBuilder properly, it needs to be rethought. WOBuilder now is built like IB, but that's really not exactly right, because in a proper system, you're dealing almost entirely in custom components and you can only really render custom components with live-like data (or in a live environment). I have some ideas for this, but a lot of it just comes down to interface experimentation to see what works and what doesn't. If we built a WOBuilder, we would really only build one that I would use, too, so it has to not suck (this quite possibly means such an app is not an Eclipse plugin, but just has an eclipse plugin integration layer along the lines of how WOB + PB/Xc work).

I think about this app all the time, but I just have not yet seen the economics. I asked at WWDC who would pay "real money" (granted, an unspecified amount) for a WOBuilder and VERY few hands went up in a pretty large room of WO developers. I'm with Jerry ... I am just not convinced that there would be enough licenses sold to justify such an effort. Who knows .. Maybe I'm wrong. Speak up with #'s and prove me wrong. Email me directly if you're not comfortable posting on the list and I'll post some aggregates. Like I said, I think about this all the time, but I have to be able to go to my boss (who graciously already lets me donate huge numbers of man-hours to this stuff as it stands) with some sort of justification for putting people on a project like this for several months.

... and don't forget that this would need to be an ongoing project with ongoing improvements (rather than getting to the point of standing still, like the old tools, after the initial features are in place). That's a serious business decision to make. Considering that Apple used to charge US$699, or whatever it was, for the whole set, including the frameworks - I think you'd need to be committed to keeping up with or ahead of the game in order to ensure continued revenue. It'd need to be compelling enough to make enough people cough up the funds time and time again.

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck