IMO, there's no excuse for somebody saying there aren't any good WO developers to hire these days. I know of several who are working on J2EE stuff that would gladly jump to a WO project if one came up. I'm more than happy to be working in WO now, I actually think it's much better now than just a few years ago. At least I feel like there's more WO going on these days (I actually got a WO call from a recruiter the other day, yikes!)

Don't give up WO because of all these reasons--do what I do and show them that WO is better for all the right reasons and make them come around. There are lots of reasons to stick with it.