this doesn't sound like a code problem at all - more like an apache config problem. it sounds to me like you don't have the SSL port open, or you don't have an SSL web site configured for that domain.

first of all just make sure you can connect to https://gamp.murdoch.edu.au

i'm guessing you'll find you can't

Simon