The problem was indeed the absence of an SSL service because I was using the
incorrect port.  The service was running 443.

I was so concerned about potential framework incompatibilities, that I
developed tunnel vision and saw only that class of problem.

The WO5.4 app now works fine on a Tiger, WO5.3 deployment.  I presume this
means that the interface between the WOTask daemon and application instances
hasn¹t changed.  Good.

Many thanks to the quick eyes of Simon McLean and Paul Lynch.

Michael Scott