Cail,

On Aug 20, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Cail Borrell wrote:

If you change the internal data type of your unique attribute to String

That would be kind of problem, for I am working with a legacy database which already contains lots of rows.

Not that it would be entirely out of question, but it would complicate things considerably :(

you should be able to use a little sql injection when inserting your record.

Sorry, I got lost here. You mean I should catch the generated SQL in EOF just before sent to the database, and replace the value which is sent to the column by the "coalesce(...)+1" expression?

Just set the value of your unique column to something like:
and invalidate the eo after insertion.

If not, colour me please dumb and elucidate.

If so... well, I haven't considered this possibility -- good point!

Perhaps I could do the same with an integer column and simpler expression

(select max(<unique column>) from (<table name>))+1

could I not? (Assumed there is at least one non-nil column, which it happens to be there all right -- otherwise I could use the improvements Florijan or Francis suggested.)

In the latest versions of FrontBase triggers are enabled by default.

Good, didn't know that. Thanks!
---
Ondra Čada
OCSoftware:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://www.ocs.cz