Sometimes the app is not the right level for solving the problem. I do try to avoid things like this, but sometimes they are the best solution.
Why would you choose this route rather than selecting from your db's sequence generator from WO (assuming your db has sequences)? I mean, if you're doing db-specific things anyway .... Actually, we should make a variant of ERXSequence that calls an ERXSQLHelper for each database to do this.
And I should call it ERXSQLHelper. getNextValFromSequenceNamed(EOEditingContext ec, String modelName, String sequenceName) .... And also it should already exist .... I love Wonder. (granted it's only impl'd on Oracle at the moment, but that will be rectified momentarily)
OK, this is impl'd for FB, PG, and Oracle. MySQL doesn't appear to support sequences natively, so it doesn't provide an impl of this method. There's also a new ERXSequence.NativeDatabaseSequence implementation that uses this method.

ms