From memory (Mike to correct me) PW does two appendToResponse phases for its AJAX system. So maybe you could do something like this and write the second time into a dummy response or something? I'm not too sure if this would work for what you want.
actually, two invokeActions, one appendToResponse, but your point is still valid .. .you'd have to do something kind of funky with setting a flag to prevent an infinite loop ... I'm not sure what it means to have a component in the middle of the page that itself returns the entire page. I would give that request a hearty "what are you actually trying to do, because it sounds wrong" :)

ms