On 7-Mar-09, at 3:58 PM, Kieran Kelleher wrote:

I have been using Role Based access control mixed with Privileges (on/off canViewThis, canEditThat, etc.), but I always get the feeling there is better ways to do this security stuff ....... anyone care to share their user security strategies in terms of access to pages, parts of pages and objects in WebObjects apps?

Hi Kieran,

I am implementing a system that assigns a user to a role and then each role is given a specific set of navigation tabs for the pages that they can see. This is all easily done using the ERXNavigationMenu from ProjectWonder. I then customize a given page where necessary (for example read only v.s. editable) for a given role and point to it from that role's navigation menu.

This works really well for a small number of roles. You just create as many variations of a given page as you need for the corresponding roles.

Where this approach breaks down is when you start to have too many roles and/or you are customizing too many pages to correspond to the roles. I think at that point you'd want to create one page level component and set privileges at the field level (as read only or editable or invisible) depending on the privilege assigned to the role.

As always, I think a lot depends on the complexity of your application. And I am not sure what the rule of thumb would be for moving from one way to the other.

Do your access control strategies contemplate setting access right down to the attribute level on a page?

David