Editing contexts within the same EOF stack get notified of changes and merge those in.

This is unfortunately not always desirable behavior. A user could successfully overwrite information that is more recent than what he has seen displayed. I.e. if changes happened within the same EOF stack, they would have gotten merged into the local editing context.

This contrasts with the behavior exhibited when changes were made in a separate EOF stack (e.g. another app instance). In that event the save operation would fail with an optimistic locking exception. The app can then report to the users the fact that some other user managed to squeeze in a change.

If you prefer changes to always be merged in, you may implement change notifications between stacks and app instances.

If you want your user always to see the data he is about to overwrite, you may simulate the optimistic locking behavior by listening to the notifications which trigger merging.

Pierre