Gee, it's been 5 years since I last touched this...

You need to override

    public void validationFailedWithException(Throwable e, Object value, String
keyPath) {

in your page and have code similar to the stuff in ERD2WPage, also you need to
extend ERXGenRec and let it use ERXEntityClassDesc. And your component needs to
call parent().validationFailedWithException();

Cheers, Anjo