Hey Dave,

quite compelling... cheers.

On 07/11/2009, at 12:50 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

On Nov 6, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

So if we're stirring the pot here ... For me, it's not being cool in the browser, it's about Java apps looking terrible. You can immediately tell when you're using a Java app ... Things are just never quite right, but they try to sell themselves as being native. It's an uncanny valley situation. Eclipse/SWT are using native controls for lots of things and they get it wrong, too. Swing just doesn't have a chance. Go try IDEA -- it looks TERRIBLE. Look at their preference panels. I tweeted when IDEA went free that I can see how to make Eclipse right, but I'd never be able to make IDEA right.

I understand the uncanny valley. In most cases you are absolutely right. Here's a screen grab from my current D2JC project, I think it looks pretty good, although it doesn't look like a modern OS X app (iTunes, etc):

<PastedGraphic-3.png>
For browser apps, it's obvious they're not native apps, and the bar is set low in the browser at this point, so you can make a slick looking app, and it doesn't have to be perfectly native, and people are still OK with it. I would be far more interested in CocoaClient where you actually have a chance of pulling off a nice end-user deliverable.

I agree. For me a WO Cocoa Client is the Holy Grail of Client- Server. I want it. Badly.

That said, I recognize that there are plenty of apps where "looking slick" doesn't really matter -- that you just need to get some business app out there. But what does Java bring to the table that you're not getting in the browser?

With plain WebObjects JavaClient, you get
1) Real Java on the client. No messing around learning JavaScript (or waiting for the "next great JS framework") to implement UI logic.
2) EOF on the Client with
- automatic syncing of Client and Server EditingContexts (works very similar to Child ECs)
        - batching
        - faulting
        - validation

Why not just use D2W? Drag and drop is about the only thing, and that will be in the good browsers pretty soon.

For me, it's not about the features you get in the client, although there's some cool stuff that way too. It's the dead-simple development side that makes it so awesome to me. With WebObjects D2JC you don't have to write _any_ code at all. No HTML. No CSS. No JavaScript. Not even rules! You hear that D2W guys? The D2JC EOAssistant works great and it will write most of the rules you need! Here's a screen capture of it (it's also a Java Client app that communicates with WOLips to update the user.d2wmodel file):

<PastedGraphic-6.tiff>

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with Java Client, but hey Anjo brought it up! :-P

Dave

I do, however, think D2JC is a _neat_ technology, in that it's amazingly clever what it's doing under the covers, I just am not sold on the end result.

ms