On Feb 1, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Dov Rosenberg wrote:

The biggest things you lose is the built in load balancing and the javamonitor. You will need to spawn your own instances and load balance them externally.

That seems like a rather big drawback.

Deployment turns into a single war file that is easy to do. It is much easier to deploy a war versus setting up a wo deployment.

With the full embedding now available in WOProject, I suspect that a fully embedded .woa may now be easier to deploy. You do still need to deploy the web server resources in a separate step.

The other big gain is support for non wo supported platforms like Linux, solaris, and windows

The only thing not cross platfom is mod_webobjects and that is fairly easy to build and mDimension kindly hosts several pre-built versions:
http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wonder/mod_WebObjects/Apache2.2/

From what I have seen, the only real reasons to use servlet deployment are:
- access to things like jsp tagging
- deployment on hosting services that don't support WO (which would be most of them...) - deployment in a mixed environment where servlet deployment has been mandated as the standard

At least as of a couple years ago, ITMS was using standard WO deployment. They need all the bang they can get, so if servlet was better I expect they would have used that.

Chuck