We have seen this behaviour intermittently (1 in 20 restarts) when restarting OS X 10.5 XServes. Our solution has been to restart them again. Sounds like your problem is more than intermittent so this may not work for you.

Another solution to a similar problem is to deactivate the network port and then activate it again. Obviously, deactivating and activating a network port is difficult to do remotely. Make sure you connect through the other network port!

Good luck

Tim