When I was first trying out eclipse, I was on a multi user machine with eclipse
in /Applications.  I couldn't work out why sometimes a user could install
plugins and sometimes a user couldn't.  As a Mac user I never expected it to be
important which user had installed the original application in /Applications.
 I thought eclipse was just flakey and so I stayed with XCode which didn't have
these problems.

Later I worked out the problem, installed eclipse in ~/Applications  and
haven't had a problem since.

Tim