I just have to say, Mike is on a role this thread:

1) "If you DO become iTunes, Google, or Twitter, your app won't scale. Period.
I've never seen a system that scales without investing substantial engineering
effort in profiling and rearchitecture after deployment."

2) "The moral of the story is that every technology sucks, so you might as well
just build it fast so it can suck in production faster and you can move on with
your life."

And Last, but certainly not least (and my favorite):

3) "Of course, the sad reality is that our industry loves to just syntactically
masturbate with different languages and pretend that we're much better for it
when the reality is that basically nothing has changed in 30 years in terms of
how we actually solve problems."

With the direction he's going, he's going to describe the relationship between
Scala, Java and Ruby as some kind of twisted three-way.

I can't wait!

Dave