On 17 Nov 2010, at 06:49, Pascal Robert wrote:

> Le 2010-11-16 à 14:42, Antonio Petri a écrit :
>

>> Of course, the sad reality is that our industry loves to just syntactically
>> masturbate with different languages and pretend that we're much better for
>> it when the reality is that basically nothing has changed in 30 years in
>> terms of how we actually solve problems.
>>
>> I get this as iTunes, Google and Twitter could have well been built using
>> Pascal (the language...)
>
> No, because Pascal is too fat :-) At least that was one of my teachers said
> in college when we had to do a DOS (!!) app to send files over a NULL modem
> and he said that we will do the project in C because Pascal is too fat...

C is both fat and lean - the wrong way round - fat with traps and bereft of
sensible patterns, like good string and array handling. It is sad to see how
teachers like that helped establish C - the worst thing that ever happened to
computing - in a dominant position. Now that really SUCKS!

I think I'll reiterate Bob Barton's quote:

"Systems programmers are high priest of a low cult"

http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_VI.html