Theodore,

FWIW, here is my 2 cents on learning WO "in a vacuum"...... and what I
recommend to someone starting WebObjects

You need to be willing to grab a few essential books and study them. You need
to be willing to bookmark essential internet references that you find relevant
so that you can quickly reference them when needed.

First you need good java foundations:

Essential Java References (most return for least learning effort IMHO):
        Head First Design Patterns
        Effective Java (2nd Edition) by Josh Bloch
        Wonder source code

Second, you need basic Terminal command line usage knowledge and SQL knowledge
(SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE, etc.)
        Plenty of online references for that

Third you need to be comfortable hand-coding HTML and CSS, (and basic
Javascript if you plan to use Ajax)
        Plenty of online references and books for that available

Finally you need to wrap your brain around WebObjects and good practices
Essential WebObjects References
        http://wiki.objectstyle.org
        Practical WebObjects
        Wonder source code
                Wonder example applications
        Old WWDC WebObjects Sessions Video/Presentations
        WOWODC Video/Presentations

And remember, keep on asking here for help. If you really want to make it easy
for people to look at your code, then commit it to a free google code
subversion repository with everyone ......

........ and remember, checkout Wonder source code, link Wonder frameworks and
examples into your workspace, and run and explore the examples. If you don't
understand how an example works by looking at the source, just ask.

HTH, Kieran