Hi Faizel,

On 02/01/2011, at 22:51, Faizel Dakri wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Happy new year to everyone.  I've got some newbie questions about WO & Maven.
> I have what appears to be a working installation currently with the following
> components:
>
> Mac OS X 10.6 + Java 1.6 + WebObjects 5.4.3 + Maven 2.2.1
> Eclipse 3.6.1 + WOLips 3.6.6215 + m2Eclipse 0.12.0.20101115-1102
> Wonder (rev. 11847)
>
> The installation went smoothly as far as I can tell. I was able to get Maven
> installed, added the settings.xml [1] and archetype-catalog.xml [2] as
> outlined in the wiki and installed the WO libraries using mvn
> wobootstrap:install. I then checked out Wonder and installed it to my local
> repository using mvn clean install -P wo54. Everything looks okay at this
> point.
>
> But I'm having some issues for which I think I just need some reassurance
> that this is how things are supposed to work, or that these are indeed valid
> concerns that I need to fix (a nudge in the right direction would also be
> appreciated).
>
> #1: When I launch Eclipse, the console always shows errors when trying to
> update the index for the wocommunity repositories:
>
>       Unable to update index for
> wocommunity.snapshots|http://maven.wocommunity.org/content/groups/public-snapshots
>       Unable to update index for
> wocommunity.releases|http://maven.wocommunity.org/content/groups/public

The repository was reindexed. Could you check if the problem persists?

> Do these messages indicate something amiss in my environment, or are they
> safe to ignore? By the way, the central repository index at
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 is updated without error.

Repository indexes are useful when you need to add a dependency. The m2eclipse
plug-in will be able to find artifacts based on those indexes even if the
artifact is not available in your local repository.

> #2: Whenever I create a new Maven project using m2eclipse, Eclipse throws up
> an error panel telling me the project failed to create, although a project is
> created (but it seems to be missing some info). Here are the steps I follow:
>
> [...]
>
> Despite the error message, a project is created, but it looks suspect (e.g.
> there are no source folders in the project, so the project tree looks like a
> hierarchy of folders and files). BUT, if I right-click on the project and
> select Maven > Update Project Configuration, it looks like it gets fixed (I
> see source folders in the project and I'm able to build and run the app).
>
> Is this indicative of a  problem in my current installation about which I
> should be worried?

It's a bug [1] in the current version of m2eclipse.

> #3: After choosing Update Project Configuration, I have what appears to be a
> valid project.

It's a valid workaround until the next version of m2eclipse is released.

> I can add dependencies [3] and build and run a WO app successfully. But,
> there are some log messages in the console that I'm not sure about. I get the
> following messages (which I'm guessing are the result of using jar bundles
> instead of framework bundles):
>
> - Can't get path when run as jar: ERJavaMail - Properties
> - Can't get path when run as jar: ERJavaMail - Properties.dev
> - Can't get path when run as jar: ERJavaMail - Properties.fez
>
> The messages appear for all of the frameworks that are calculated as
> dependencies for the project. On top of that, the entire set of messages
> repeats a few more times in the console.
>
> Are these messages the norm when using jar frameworks with maven, or should I
> be worried about this too?

These messages are just informative and they are OK when running an Application
with Wonder and JAR based frameworks. Wonder has a feature that allows you to
specify different values for properties based on the environment and user
running the application. This feature was implemented without support for JAR
frameworks and that is why you see the warnings.

> Other than the above three issues, my test app seems to build and run.
> Admittedly I haven't tried anything terribly complex yet.

Good to hear.

[1] https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-2555

Cheers,