On Apr 26, 2011, at 5:16 AM, Theodore Petrosky wrote:

> I am presenting a table to my user and I am noticing that the number of rows
> that they want to keep current is growing to more than 1k.
>
> One of the UI issues is to color individual rows that signify specific meta
> data (ie. row is red so it is important, green is something else).
>
> Currently, I have one AjaxUpdateContainer wrapping the whole table. If the
> user updates the row color, I fire the container update. But with over 1k
> rows, this is starting to take time (10 - 15 seconds). So I thought that I
> would wrap the individual row in its own update container.
>
> Before I jump into this, I thought I would ask. If I had 1000 update
> containers on my page, am I shooting myself in the foot? Or is this what the
> AjaxUpdateContainer is made for? Or do I have to update the whole table for
> the row color to update (with CSS)?

It is probably not much worse than a 1000 row table, a 1000 row table is pretty
bad already.  :-)  That is a terrible interface, IMO.  You need to batch the
data and keep the table small.  See AjaxGrid for one way to do this.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.