If you can't use a batching table, can you maybe split your data set into
groups and then wrap each group in a tbody tag, which you can then mark as an
update container (or wrap it in an update container). That way you don't have
to have one update container per row, but you're also not forcing an update of
thousands rows at a time. You just need to set a useful group size, say 50 or
so rows.