I don't know what kind of database you are using or what kind of url data you
might want to accept but...

apps connect to databases because apps put the logic on the database so that
others can safely use an application or API of some sort - are you working on
application logic that does something with the database already?

Some REST api vs. an sql database seem like such different worlds of potential
and purpose, that I wonder if there's miscommunication.

I mean, shouldn't you already know this answer if you are going to program
something?

Maybe just tell us specifically what it is that you have now, and what you need
to do, and include links and someone can advise you I'm sure.