You're close to a real uuid at that point. The common problem is multiple
instance coordination, can be a lot easier just to have the DB assign a unique
value since you're probably coordinating there anyway. But it all depends on
your app, your db, your scaling characteristics, how many potential collisions
you're willing to riskā€¦.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/UUID.html

tb