Dennis - some further thoughts below....

On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Gaastra Dennis - WO Lists wrote:

1)  have you made sure that your adaptor config correctly has the correct
hostnames and ports for the wotaskd(s) it needs to know about? What does the
adaptor config page tell you about what apache thinks the world looks like?
(Apologies if you already covered that... I just caught the last couple of
posts).
I am not quite sure about this; where these can be set?

As explained in more detail in my previous response, this stuff gets set in the
Apache WO config file which typically lives somewhere like:

/System/Library/WebObjects/Adaptors/Apache/apache.conf

That file also allows you to set an adaptor info password, so that you can see
what apache thinks are the available apps via a url along the lines of:

http://webserver/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WOAdaptorInfo?user+password

(The apache.conf explains this).

If you look at that,you can see whether mod_webobjects is talking to your
wotaskd. It sounds like it isn't.

2) have you checked your launchd boot scripts for wotaskd and monitor (if
that's how you are launching them) to make sure that you don't have alternative
WOHost entries in there as command line arguments? (if they aren't there
already, maybe try adding them there, to make sure that the values you want are
getting picked up).
Please see above, we set them in the "Properties".

That's fine - my point was mostly just to double check that there isn't
something set on the command line in the plist that's overriding what you think
you have in the Properties.

However, it sounds like you're running into the SSD/NIC issue in the first
instance. Manually restarting the processes *might* be fixing that bit - but
then if I had to guess I'd say that the apache.conf file has a problem that
stops mod_webobjects talkign to wotaskd , so you still get the 'The requested
application was not found on this server' error.

3) I had an issue today (and I noticed someone else post something similar
recently in connection with SSD boot drives) that wotaskd and womonitor were
binding to the loopback address (only) not the ones I was asking them to -
apparently because the nics weren't properly initialized at the time the apps
were starting up at boot time.
Yes, that was us too; we only use SSDs for deployment. Restarting wotaskd and
JavaMonitor still comes up with the famous "The requested application was not
found on this server."

Once you've restarted them, compare what the wotaskd/woconfig thinks the
situation is, compared to what the WOAdaptorInfo page thinks is going on.  If
the instances are running, and wotaskd sees them... then the focus should be on
Apache, I think, as the source of your problems.

For me, killing the two java processes manually and allowing launchd to restart
them fixed the problem.
Exactly but still; "The requested application was not found on this server."

They came back up on the correct interfaces, and the IP's matched what they
were expecting, and all was good.  Have you tried manually killing/restarting
the processes after the machine has booted up?
Yes; yes

4) FWIW, I generally specify the WOHost for my apps as an additional command
line argument in the app config in WOMonitor, rather than in the properties
file. You may want to try that.
Tried that, it just showed up twice per instance that way, in the ps -ax | grep
java; and did not help. Apparently, monitor added it already

I know from experience how frustrating the dance is to get things to work
right, but it's generally always worked out for me, and I am deploying apps on
Lion Server just fine, with the Wonder versions of monitor and wotaskd.
We also got the newest:

_appserver  _appserveradm  337112 20 Feb 17:44 mod_WebObjects.so

That seems to be the version I'm using on Lion - same size at least.

So why does this still not work; maybe I am missing something else?

Thanks for any further help

Dennis

Regards,

Simon

--
With Kind Regards,

Dennis Gaastra,
WEBAPPZ®  Systems, Inc.
(+1) 604.921.1333
www.webappz.com<http://www.webappz.com/> &
www.scheduleDS.com<http://www.scheduleDS.com/> &
www.1tracker.com<http://www.1tracker.com/>

destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required please request a hard-copy version. WEBAPPZ Systems, Inc., 726 - 1489
Marine Drive, West Vancouver, BC, CANADA V7T 1B8,
www.webappz.com<http://www.webappz.com/>

--

Simon J. Oliver
MA (Cantab.)

Information, Architecture & Data Security Consultant
Applied Information Technology Center/SBBER
University of Memphis, TN

Phone: 901 313 4485
Skype: SJO0923
AIM/Yahoo: simonjoliver