on my dev machine, I run from Eclipse the same code

1)in debug mode the mail in sent.

2) if normal run, the mail is not sent

I added log to be sure it is reaching line message.sendMail() in normal run !

ERXApplication.log.info("before sendMail ");
message.sendMail();
ERXApplication.log.info("after sendMail ");

So the only difference I can see is run or debug in Eclipse !

maybe user-permissions issues?

are you certain you can send as the user who's running WO and all?