I think Flavio’s question was more of how to model this so that the
configurations were not hard-coded in Java.  I don’t have an immediate answer,
but it is an interesting modelling problem.

Chuck

On 2014-10-06, 11:49 AM, "Ramsey Gurley" wrote:

On Oct 6, 2014, at 11:16 AM, Flavio Donadio
<fla...@donadio.com.br<mailto:fla...@donadio.com.br>> wrote:

Hello, people!
This is a not a WO or WOnder question per se, but I think you guys can help me.
Since English is not my native language, I couldn't find anything on the web...
I have this feature I want to implement in a website, which I call
"configurator".
In a database of products, each product has options, for example: memory
capacity (integer), display type (enum: color, monochrome), audio (boolean),
WLAN regulatory domain (enum: FCC, EU, Japan), and so on.
My problem is that some options require other specific option(s) to have a
specific value, for example: audio is only available in configurations with a
color display.
And, to confuse it a little more, different products have different options
with their own rules.
How can I create a model in a way I can input these rules for "valid"
configurations? Also, when the user browses the website, he/she can configure
the products the way they want and be assured that they won't select an invalid
configuration.
I am trying to figure this out, but it doesn't look easy.
Cheers,
Flavio

Specifically in WO/Wonder, you can do this using NSValidation. Using your
example, you have a Product EO

Product
-capacity
-display
-audio
-domain

On your Product’s EO class, you would then implement validation methods for
these attributes like

public Boolean validateAudio(Boolean audio) throws
NSValidation.ValidationException {
//TODO validate boolean here
boolean notValid = …;
if(notValid) {
ERXValidationFactory factory = ERXValidationFactory.defaultFactory();
ERXValidationException ex = factory.createException(this, Product.AUDIO_KEY,
audio, ERXValidationException.InvalidValueException);
throw ex;
}
return audio;
}

where the method signature is validate<KEY> where <KEY> is the name of your
attribute being validated. If you need validation that depends on values set on
multiple attributes, you would probably do that in the EO’s validateFor*
methods... validateForInsert, validateForUpdate, validateForSave,
validateForDelete.

public void validateForSave() throws NSValidation.ValidationException {
if(display() != DisplayType.COLOR && audio() == true) {
ERXValidationFactory factory = ERXValidationFactory.defaultFactory();
ERXValidationException ex = factory.createCustomException(this,
“AudioNotAvailableWithMonoChrome”);
throw ex;
}
}

Then in your Resources/English.lproj/ValidationTemplate.strings file, you would
have something like

{
“Product.AudioNotAvailableWithMonoChrome” = “Sorry, monochrome products are not
available with audio.”;
}

If you’re using D2W, that’s it. You’re done. If you aren’t, then you need to
wire up some way to display validation errors in your page component. That
means overriding

public void validationFailedWithException(Throwable t, Object value, String
keyPath) {
//TODO catch validation errors here to display to the user.
}

along with some other internal array structure to handle multiple validation
exceptions, possibly nested ones down in the EO’s relationships, etc.

This email sent to ch...@global-village.net<mailto:ch...@global-village.net>