Have you considered a business rules engine?  Have a look at some of these
http://java-source.net/open-source/rule-engines

Would a rules engine solve your problem?

Chuck

On 2014-10-06, 1:57 PM, "Flavio Donadio" wrote:

On 06/10/2014, at 16:51, Chuck Hill
<ch...@global-village.net<mailto:ch...@global-village.net>> wrote:

I think Flavio’s question was more of how to model this so that the
configurations were not hard-coded in Java.  I don’t have an immediate answer,
but it is an interesting modelling problem.
Chuck

Chuck is right. I have something more into the lines:

Product <--->> ProductOption <<---> Option <--->> OptionValue

... where Option is something like "Display Type" and OptionValue is something
like "Monochrome". And ProductOption is just a proxy table for the many-to-many
relationship.

Maybe I should have two more relationships:

OptionValue <--->> OptionRequire
OptionValue <--->> OptionExclude

An AJAX interface would be preferable, so the user gets an error message when
changing the selections, not when the application saves the context...

Cheers,
Flavio