At my previous workplace, we did the switch to Maven.  Luckily we had a real
maven expert to drive the move.
We started with around 50+ projects, all ant based, using the ‘standard’
fluffy-bunny layout.  He added pom.xml here and there, and everything just
started working with maven.  We had choice to build/run with maven and/or ant
and it was (almost) transparent.  The only exception was that if you decided to
use in maven, you had to change the class path to remove everything but the
maven and java dependencies (2 lines left), a simple .classpath that was
standard and could be copied from one project to the other.
The maven build was then integrated with Jenkins (CI) and SonarQube (so that
future ‘JF’ is happy with old ‘JF’, and all the team's work are standardized a
bit) with ease.

From my experience, the team was happy with the Maven switch, none of us had to
become an expert (because we had one already).
Maven help a lot on easing the dependency management of your apps (a building
block only declare his direct dependency).  Once you remove the noise of
declaring dependencies, you will be left with a clear graph of dependent block.
 You will then have to tackle the real problem of incompatible dependencies (A
need B and Xv1, but B need Xv2).  Maven will make the graph simple and clear,
it will try to provide helper but can’t really help much after that.

jfv