Hi,

> On 22.06.2016, at 11:33, Calven Eggert <cal...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> It would be great if the application could be designed so that new
> paths/activities can be created by the user in an administration section, as
> opposed to having the developer create new versions of the application each
> time a new path/activity needs to be created.  Right now, I'm prepared to
> soldier through and simply design it so that there is 1 table for each
> activity.  I've looked at creating a generic table that has many string
> fields and then storing the field type, etc, however, this seems like way too
> much work (validation, etc.).  Also thought about one activity table but 75
> fields sounds unmanageable plus the fact that there will be more activities
> added in the next year.

This depends a lot on the underlying database of course and what your actual
specs are. In these cases we successfully managed to use JSONB fields in
Postgresql (in theory any string field would work). On the pro side this is
very extensible, on the con side you need to do the validation on application
side if required and you loose the ability to query the specialized fields.
Especially latter can be the make-or-break argument for this; if you only fetch
all activities for a patient for example and then want to list them or create
and delete activities, not being able to query on the fields is a non-issue. On
the other hand, if you need to build reports for example over all activities of
a type or filter them by subfields, this design can quickly become a problem
(on Postgresql / JSONB it is still queriable but that comes down to raw SQL. In
our case where useful we do use the Boon library and adapted the EOF templates
to automatically generate a simple wrapper between the EOF-supplied string
representation and the more convenient Map/List.

Greetings
Dennis

Dennis Bliefernicht • Backend Development
T +49 40 357 3001 62
dennis.blieferni...@xyrality.com

XYRALITY GmbH • Friedensallee 290 • 22763 Hamburg
www.xyrality.com <http://www.xyrality.com/>
Registergericht: Hamburg HRB 115332
Geschäftsführer: Sven Ossenbrüggen