Hi there,

this must be WebObjects 101 and I must be blind as a bat, but ... how on earth
does one use the value conversion/factory model support to represent e.g., an
attribute containing an NSDictionary (or another custom data object) by a BLOB
containing archived data?

Far as I understand the support, I specify the desired EO-side class, plus an
instance method to archive it to NSData, plus a class method (in Javaspeak
presumably a static one) to initialise an instance from NSData. But... there
are no such methods far as I know for most data classes. E.g., I would need
something like

class NSDictionary ... {
  static NSDictionary theMethodToBeUsedForValueFactory(NSData data) {
    ByteArrayInputStream bis=new ByteArrayInputStream(data.bytes())
    ObjectInputStream is=new ObjectInputStream(bis)
    return objectInputStream.readObject()
  }
  NSData theMethodToBeUsedForValueConversion() {
    ByteArrayOutputStream bos=new ByteArrayOutputStream();
    ObjectOutputStream os=new ObjectOutputStream(bos)
    os.writeObject(this)
    os.flush()
    return new NSData(bos.toByteArray())
  }
}

none of which, far as I know, actually exists. In Objective C the solution
would be trivial, I would simply add appropriate methods through a category;
but the bloody Java thing has no similar support.

What am I missing and how does one solve this?

Thanks a lot,
OC