Hi Aaron,

Thanks for jumping in.

On 21 May 2017, at 12:25 am, Aaron Rosenzweig <aa...@chatnbike.com> wrote:

> After reading this a few times it is still not clear to me what the issue is
> but I’ll try to say something helpful.

Yeah, I think ultimately it’s esoteric, as advertised, and just not very
interesting. But thanks for trying!

> “takeValuesFromRequest()” does try to do some validation if it can figure out
> the key paths and figure out a “validate()” method to call.

What I’m talking about here is the validation that happens just _prior_ to
that—what Chuck calls “Automatic EOF Property Validation” on p.143 of Practical
WebObjects. My example triggers that because there are model attributes with
allowsNull = N.

> Obviously if it is just a method on the page it cannot “discover” validation
> methods to call because it doesn’t know the underlying logic or how to get to
> the EO that is covered by the custom WOComponent method. This type of
> “automatic” validation only can happen when you are setting a value hanging
> from an EO listed directly in the .wod

You may well be right, despite the fact that I think we’re talking about
slightly different phases of validation. My observation is just that changing
this:

<wo:text value="$^value"></wo:text>

to this:

<wo:text value="$value"></wo:text>

(even when paired with a setValue() method that calls setValueForBinding(value,
"value”)) seems to _bypass_ the “Automatic EOF Property Validation” that
happens in the first case above.

I’m almost boring myself talking about it now. I doubt there’s any bug, unless
it’s in my code, I just thought someone else may have noted the inconsistency
themselves, and could perhaps offer a workaround or something. But it’s not a
big deal.

--
Paul Hoadley
http://logicsquad.net/