De : Aaron Rosenzweig [mailto:aa...@chatnbike.com]
Envoyé : lundi 27 avril 2020 22:47
À : GILQUIN Pierre
Cc : WebObjects-Dev
Objet : Re: PWA

Hi Pierre,

The critical part is figuring out how to be “offline first” - it’s a mindset -
offline is not an error condition.

The “sw.js” you mention is a “service worker” which is a means of caching files
on the client so you don’t need to speak with the server. The next time you
access the web page it checks the version of the service worker and if nothing
has changed, there is no download. That’s great for:

1) user experience - you can give users a full version of your app and it
doesn’t cost you anything because the information is all on the client. Don’t
even need a user account! They can pay when they want to persist and share
across devices but by that time they are hooked.

2) bandwidth - with no download your apps pop when they revisit and work “real
fast” even without an internet connection.

3) resource utilization - Clients have power, they aren’t dumb, let them do the
work and let your “server” just be a bit bucket. Do more with less.

You probably want to use something like PouchDB for your client side
persistence and then send DA to WO for permanent storage. At some point, you
can consider switching out CouchDB for the back end for direct sync.

Between you and me - “service worker” is a dumb name. It replaced “AppCache”
which was perfectly named and in many ways easier but is now deprecated.
Aaron Rosenzweig / Chat 'n Bike<http://www.chatnbike.com>
e:  aa...@chatnbike.com<mailto:aa...@chatnbike.com>  t:  (301) 956-2319

[Image supprimée par l'expéditeur. Chat 'n Bike]

[Image supprimée par l'expéditeur. Chat 'n Bike]

On Apr 27, 2020, at 9:18 AM, GILQUIN Pierre via Webobjects-dev