I fully agree with others that a textual form is better. That's the tradition of URIs. It's much easier to implement, write tests, and so on, and won't unnecessarily scare people away.

Regards,    Martin.

P.S.: As a nit (but a strong one), the current draft has "DIGEST:" all over the place. But RFC 3986 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.1, second paragraph) says:

   Scheme names consist of a sequence of characters beginning with a
   letter and followed by any combination of letters, digits, plus
   ("+"), period ("."), or hyphen ("-").  Although schemes are case-
   insensitive, the canonical form is lowercase and documents that
   specify schemes must do so with lowercase letters.  An implementation
   should accept uppercase letters as equivalent to lowercase in scheme
   names (e.g., allow "HTTP" as well as "http") for the sake of
   robustness but should only produce lowercase scheme names for
   consistency.

which fully matches current practice.