Hi

The similarity of pinning and DANE has been discussed before. DANE relies on
DNSSEC being deployed, which key-pinning does not. Come to think of it, the
draft needs a section comparing with DANE, but that's for another thread.

draft-perrin-tls-tack seems to tackle the same problem as key-pinning. Instead
of the pins getting attested to in HTTP headers, you have a special
public/private key pair, that you use to sign the SPKI from the server
certificate within the a TLS extension. Like key-pinning there's a TOFU element
here, because the client only learns about the special key when it encounters
it in a TLS handshake.

The obvious question is why would we need both key-pinning and tack. It has
been asked on the TLS mailing list:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg08818.html

An answer by the draft authors is here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg08830.html

In the grand scheme of things, it's not good for the IETF to make >1 standards,
both of which need to be implemented in both servers and browsers, that
accomplish the same thing, and Sean is correct that implementing more than one
may lead to mismatching information. In a sense DANE is also doing the same
thing, but DANE requires DNSSEC everywhere, so it's operational profile is
different. But Tack and cert pinning both have no prerequisites and accomplish
the same thing, so what if one's at the HTTP layer, while the other is at the
TLS layer.

I don't think the TLS WG is very excited about TACK (see the mailing list) but
regardless, I think it's up to us to look at both options and decide if we
would like to go on with cert-pinning, or whether we thing TACK is better.

Yoav