Hi

I agree with Tobias.

The attack that Trevor describes is done by a TLS MitM. TLS MitM can be either
trusted or not trusted.

Non-trusted MitM is not a problem. Even if the user is allowed to click through
the interstitial and get the page, the browser still considers the connection
insecure (red slash in the UI of Chrome) and the draft says not to note a pin
in that case (Section 2.5: "It received the PKP response header field over an
error-free TLS connection.”)

Trusted MitM are a bigger issue. I know that Google’s implementation disables
pinning for trusted MitM, but even UAs that won’t make a distinction between
regular trusted CA and MitM CA won’t pin the data, because the pins (that come
from the origin server) will not match the public keys (that come from the
proxy). The only issue is if the MitM is malicious and stores its own pins via
the PKP-RO headers, causing the UA to be tracked by sending reports to the
attacker whenever they access the website.

I think it’s important in this case that the MitM is trusted, meaning that the
user (or their IT department) installed that root trust anchor. In that case
the user has to trust that this root CA won’t do harm. That’s part of the
trust. This scenario may deserve a sentence or two in the security
considerations, not a change in the protocol.

Yoav
(with chair and shepherd hat on)