On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 13:09 +0100, Anders Holbøll wrote:
> On 17-02-2012 22:09, drew wrote:
> > Went ahead and removed the section on forums, with links to old sites,
> > from the 'Get Help' page and replaced with a section on, and link to,
> > the new AskLibo site. (also changed the order so this AskLibo section
> > comes now before the section on Nabble)
>
> Simplification is a good thing, especially on a help site. But I think
> the page still seem as a "wall of text" and a bit overwhelming.

Yeah - had the same thought.

> Maybe it would be helpful to group the page in two sections/columns: the
> interactive (ask-lo, mailinglists, nabble, irc) and the documentation
> (the rest)?

> Many of the items have multiple links to the same place. This is not
> helpful because there is more options to consider, when you don't know
> that they do the same thing. E.g. the documentation section have two
> links to the same place and the Nabble section have four.

Yes - I'll try to trim that down.

> It seems to me that the FAQ should be removed since its function is the
> same as the Ask site which has the added benefit of being dynamic and
> therefor up-to-date. So I think the useful questions should be moved to
> the ask site and some could probably be retired (e.g. "Where to get
> support?" is quite artificial since if the user found it, they already
> found the support section).

On the question of moving the FAQ - maybe.. I'm not really certain that
it would be truly redundant. (though the question you reference, yes
does seem to be just that, redundant)

> I have been hanging out in the IRC-channels the past days and it seems
> to me, that there is few questions that get a good answer (either
> because there is no one around, they are asking in #documentfoundation
> or nobody knows). Also it seems to be inefficient to help one user at a
> time. So it seems that IRC should not be advertised as a place for
> end-user help. To many help options spreads the resources to thin.
> Perhaps a bot could post new questions from the Ask site into the
> channel, just as new bugs in bugzilla are posted to the developer
> channel, for those that really like IRC. (Just as a bot might post a
> digest of the unanswered Ask-questions to the mailing list weekly?)

IRC - personally I would totally drop it for user support.

Helping one user at a time, yes I suppose that is a quaint idea.

> I think that the sections for mailing lists and Nabble (as others have
> said, it should just be called "the web interface") should be combined
> since they are two interfaces to the same thing.

yes that sounds about right IMO.

I'll try to actually implement a few of those ideas today and ping back
afterwards.

//drew