On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 07:55, Victor Ng wrote:
> On Tuesday March 30th 2004, Ianb wrote:

> > Standalone WebKit, which is in the Sandbox, is something of an
> attempt
> > to deal with this -- Webware's layout isn't really friendly to
> packaging
> > systems at this point.  By turning Webware's main component
> (WebKit)
> > into a distutil-ifiable package, I think it would be much easier to
> > repackage and distribute.
> > The thing that has discourged me, though, is that I can't figure
> out how
> > to unit test Webware.  I think it would need radical refactoring to
> > decouple things and make them testable, which opens up all sorts of
> > problems.  Yet, without unit tests I don't feel confident about the
> > level of refactoring necessary for Standalone WebKit.

> I've started an attempt at refactoring Webware into a distutil-ible
> package.  Are there any big changes coming to Webware in the next
> month or so?  I just grabbed a CVS copy on March 31st and I've
> started to hack away.

Hi Victor,

No major changes from me; I've been reducing my delta over the last few
weeks.  I'm sure a lot of people have local changes, though.  I've copied
webware-devel to give others a chance to pipe up.

I think doing this refactoring is a worthwhile effort; it would be great to see
Webware packaged and distributed.

Probably the biggest hindrance to this has been CVS, because it doesn't let
you move files around.  Is it possible to avoid losing the CVS log for all
the files which move?  Should we consider switching to the subversion repository
which Ian has set up on the new server?

Yes.  See http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware/Docs/StyleGuidelines.html

--
Jason D. Hildebrand