>>It's certainly hard to define what convenience is where XML processing is
concerned.<<

XPath is as useful to XML documents as SQL is to RDBMS's. Sure, you can use
cursors to do everything you'd want to in an RDBM's but you'd be mad.

XPath allows you to frame statements like "provide me a list of nodes that
have attribute X = Y" or "find me the first node that is the 3rd <z> element
of a parent <x> element".

XPath also takes away the uncertainty of processing poorly sytructured XML.
I'm at element X and I know there's a child under me which has an attribute
a="1". Now I can just find it without having to dredge all the child nodes
and test them (possibly tripping over spurious whitespace nodes as I go) :

child = x.xpathQuery('/*[a="1"]')
if child:

NB. My XPath is rusty, the above probably isn't valid and I don't know the
Python syntax for XPath use but you get the idea.

- Ian Sparks.