I am not to worried about process vs threads right now.

My only concern is "rolling my own" security and stuff like that.  I like
how Zope's security allows you to use different acl_users folder that
supports different authorizations--although I want groups.  But on the
flip-side, one of the reasons I am reluctant about Zope is that anything I
do will only work in Zope.  It is not very useable outside Zope.

This is the one drawback about developing with python for web-apps compared
to Java right now.  There are no real standards for developing/deploying
python web-apps and it almost always depends on what python app
server/apache mod that you use.  I hate the fact that the Java community has
all these crazy "best practices" for developing web apps,  however some
things are kinda cool about the servlet containers when it comes to standard
ways of defining security and uri mapping.  The idea is really nice that you
can take a java .war file (web archive) and drop it into most any java app
server and it is ready to go.  Then the admin can just modify some xml
files.

I am not sure if it is good or bad to have some kind of standard
"container"?  I wish developing python web-apps could run on most any python
app server. But after spending many years developing java apps, I can say
for sure that java is really dissappointing for developing web apps.  But, I
think Webware has some great potential with plug-ins.  I just wish there
were more of them!  But that might be the way to go right now,  developing
the Zope-like things that make it easy to build web-apps in Zope as plug-ins
for Webware.

Chris