On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 02:59 AM, mike wrote:
I am just wondering whether somebody could briefly compare sqlbject (or any
similar module) with MiddleKit. Personally, sqlobject looks to me more
flexible for basic database operations, but it would be nice to know what
others prefer to use with WebKit.

SQLObject is being a bit more actively maintained at this point. It uses Python 2.2 features heavily. It doesn't use any code generation. It has transaction support (in CVS now) and supports more database backends. It's easier to use with pre-existing databases (which may not conform to naming conventions). SQLObject exposes more of the relational features of the underlying database. SQLObject does not have polymorphic references -- in MiddleKit you can have a key column that can reference any other table in the system.

They should both work well in threaded environments, like WebKit. They both allow you to freely add more methods, intercept setters and getters, and generally add logic to your objects. They aren't wildly different -- they both solve the same problem, and have more-or-less the same scope.

Ian