Hello all,
Lots of threads ... name, style, logo but one
question. How to present Webware to the outside world?

I have an immense amount of respect for the work of
Chuck, Ian and others but I couldn't disagree more
about whether the image of Webware can afford to
remain one of a tool for a clued up, insider group of
developers, and hope that it will eventually infect
some enlightened manager. Apologies if anyone feels I
have misrepresented the main thrust of the preceding
discussion.

If people think that "clueless corporates" would not
be interested in something as sophisticated, powerful
and exciting as Webware then I think that there needs
to be some serious thinking going on. The corporates
are not stupid. They are working as hard as anyone to
do a good job and if they are simply regarded as not
being up to the task of understanding how this
technology can help them, then I think we need to
examine why ostensibly intelligent people aren't
getting the message. If you want people to listen you
have to have say something.

Where am I going with this? Well I agree the website
badly needs some professional standard attention. As
for logos, cute cartoons are fine. However I think
it's most important to portray professionalism and
quality. These are hard qualities to convey in a cute
cartoon, but they are qualities that the Webware has
in spades. Furthermore these qualities are not
synonymous with a corporate environment. They are open
to anyone with the right attitude and commitment as is
clearly evident from Webware itself.

Even setting aside the somewhat pie in the sky notion
of mainstream corporate interest, wouldn't it be good
to portray a strong image for Webware regardless of
the sensibilities of the viewer?

The dumb side of branding and identity is where there
is no substance to the image portrayed. This project
has the qualities, so it would be a shame to leave
them hidden and only to be discovered by the innately
curious.

There are many of worthy projects out there that do
have a clear and polished identity portrayed on their
sites and logos, be they backed by corporates or not.

If we persist on swallowing the line that people who
don't get it are just ignorant and blinkered, then why
should they not ignore us for being hopelessly naive,
with our in the clouds and unable to understand real
world concerns?

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant, but I *love*
the project and it pains me to see great technology
languishing unknown. It doesn't have to stay this way,
but it will if we just plough a lonely furrow hoping
in vain that someone will notice.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.
Cheers
Adam