The other sticking point is that no one wants you to have long running
processes, e.g. WebKit.

That is true. It's not even worth trying to set up WebKit on a shared host unless they specifically support it.

I don't think the situation is as bad as that. I have Webware running on a cheap shared Linux box. Of course you cannot install mod_webkit, but WebKit.cgi works and you can always find a spare port to run on. The most difficult part of the installation was stripping WebWare down to fit in 10MB with the rest of my things. (It would be nice to have a doc-free and perhaps sample-free installation option.)

Oliver