Thanks for all the support on this issue. I was really going nuts trying to install all these different possiblities and always getting stuck in some dark corner of configure/make hell.

Here were the suggestions I got:
• Vitaliy Fuks, Cheng-Dae Choe - http://www.nullcube.com/software.html - a Python interface to gdchart <http://www.fred.net/brv/chart/>
• Adam Kerrison suggested pygdchart
• Michael Palmer suggested http://www.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=paida&version=3.2.1_2.7 Supposedly a pure python package. But it only outputs SVG, PDF, EPS data and I wanted PNGs.
• Tom Dennehy suggested R, an open-source version of the S+ statistical package. Excellent plotting capabilities from data in plain text files. Visit www.r-project.org.
• Eduardo Elgueta - If you can spend some dollars, I recommend ChartDirector: http://www.advsofteng.com but they don't yet have a Python-Mac OS X version.
• Chris Barker - matplotlib has been easy on Linux and Windows for me. All it needs in Numeric or numaray, if you are generating images for a web app, rather than a GUI.
• Shayne O'Neill offered: GD (magic stuff!) and http://freshmeat.net/projects/pythongd/

I tried each one in turn and hit some stumbling block. Finally I found PILChart by Richard Jones on Vaults of Parnasus, which only requires Python Imaging Library (PIL). There were some problems with PIL-1.1.4, but Richard's code was so simple and easy to understand, that I fixed them quickly. He is not updating his code anymore, so I have no place to put my fixes. If there is interest, I will find a place to post a new version of PILChart.

But first, I want to get the automated test cases finished for Webware. Anybody want to lend a hand with the more tricky components like WebKit, MiddleKit and Buildbot?

-winston