From: Noel Chang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tue 1/28/2003 10:58 PM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: RE: Is patient email address PHI?

        I didn't respond to the original message because the question was not clear
        to me.

        When Susan wrote "Email address is listed in the reg as an identifier that
        must be removed from data being disclosed" was she referring to the
        requirement in section 164.514(b)(2)(i) that ennumerates the various
        identifiers that must be removed for PHI to be de-identified under the "safe
        harbor" method?  If not, I'm not sure what else she meant by that statement.
        Susan, can you cite where else the Rule requires that email addresses be
        removed?

        If Susan was referring to 164.514 then we are talking about a disclsoure of
        de-identified information.  Why would you be emailing an individual de-
        identified information about themselves?  Since you are emailing the
        individual this would qualify as a permitted disclosure to the individual and
        therefore there is no need to de-identify the information in the first place!

        Please explain your situation better and please give specific citations as to
        where you think there are conflicts with the Privacy Rule.  Otherwise I'm
        afraid I don't understand the question well enough to offer an opinion.

        Noel Chang