Hi Susan,

No comments on the code as such but just a thought on the readme, I have
put together a few extension now and the format I try to follow for
readme.txt is:

   - introductory paragraphs. Naming the extension, describing what it
   does, what it consists of and maybe a little of how it does it if applicable

   - heading 'Pre-requisites'. List any pre-requisites, minimum weewx
   version is a good example

   - heading 'Installation'

   - sub-heading 'Installation using the wee_extension utility' then list
      the step by step instructions for installing using wee_extension
      - sub-heading 'Manual installation' then list the step by step
      instructions for installing manually
   - heading 'Uninstallation'
      - sub-heading 'Uninstallation using the wee_extension utility' then
      list the step by step instructions for uninstalling using wee_extension
      - sub-heading 'Manual uninstallation' then list the step by step
      instructions for uninstalling manually

I have found that when I put the extension on GitHub readme.tx then becomes
a fairly good template for the readme.md that can be displayed on your
extensions GitHub page. Obviously though you can make a markdown file look
a bit better than a text file.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Gary